JILL C. MORRIS, PH.D., L.M.H.C., L.M.F.T., GC-C
Office Phone: +1.561.558.2875
Mobile Phone: +1.561.702.0592
Email: [email protected]
Ph.D. July 1998 Nova Southeastern University, School of Social and Systemic Studies, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
· Post-master’s program met the educational requirements for Florida licensure in marriage and family therapy
· Specialized training in brief modalities of therapy
· Dissertation topic: Multigenerational Transmission of Family Communication about Sexuality
· AAMFT accredited program
M.Ed. April 1994 Florida Atlantic University, School of Education, Boca Raton, FL
· Majored in mental health counseling/counselor education
· Course work included all of the necessary educational requirements for Florida licensure in mental health counseling
· 240 hour practicum at the Renfrew Center, working with groups and individual women with eating disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder and associated diagnoses
· CACREP accredited program
M.S. April 1992 Nova University , Center for Advancement of Education, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
· Majored in education with concentration on secondary social studies and gifted education
· Practicum project focused on the cognitive intervention of sex-role stereotypes in preschool children
1989-1990 Nova University , Center for Advancement of Education , Ft. Lauderdale, FL
· Undergraduate teaching certification requirements
B.F.A. April 1989 Florida Atlantic University , School of Liberal Arts, Boca Raton, FL
· Full art curriculum with a focus on painting
1982-1984, University of Texas, Austin, TX
· Majored in advertising with a minor in art history
RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Owner and President - Relationship Consultants International, Inc. (formerly known as Jill C. Morris, PhD., PA)
Private Practice, Boca Raton, FL
August 1999 – Present
· Individual, Couple, & Family Therapy
· Life and Executive Coaching
· Clinical Supervision
· Clinical Hypnotherapy
· Support Groups
· Public Speaking
· Organizational Consultation
· Interdisciplinary collaboration with other professionals
Clinical Director - Sage Institute for Family Development
· Providing individual, couple and family therapy
· Supervision of registered mental health and marriage and family therapist interns
· Providing professional training for psychotherapists
· Providing educational groups to the public
· General non-profit management
· Development and Fundraising
Regional Clinical Coordinator - The Children’s Aid Society
Palm Beach and Broward, FL
January 2002 – November 2003
· Recruitment and hiring of clinical staff for adolescent sexuality and pregnancy prevention
· Clinical supervision of licensed psychotherapists
· Liaison between Florida and New York training centers
Psychosocial Evaluator - Soulmates by Helena
Boca Raton, FL
March 1999- March 2002
· Conducting client interviews and screenings
· Assessing personality and relationship issues
· Providing written psychosocial reports
Family Therapist/President and Founder - Every Woman's Place
Boca Raton, FL
July 1997-July 1999
· Providing therapeutic services to individuals, couples, and families
· Specializing in women's issues
· Conducting workshops, seminars, and business consultation
· Providing clinical supervision for interns
· Responsible for the financial aspect of business management
· Developed logo, newsletter and marketing materials
· Programmatic development
School Counselor/Head of Art Department - Grandview Preparatory School
Boca Raton, FL
August 1997-June 1998
· Teaching art Pre-K through 9th grade
· Providing in-school counseling services
· Conducting student, parent, and teacher conferences
· Programmatic and curriculum development
Director of Education and Public Affairs - Planned Parenthood of South Palm Beach and Broward Counties, Inc.
Boca Raton, FL
June 1996-March 1997
· Daily supervision of 4 community educators and one education assistant
· Research and development of programs to promote sexual health and responsibility for adults and adolescents
· Educational and clinical grant-writing, monitoring and management
· Represents the agency at government and community meetings
· Programmatic development
· Fundraising for the Education Department
· Served as chair of the creative team
· Manage a $250,000 budget
Family Therapist - Private Practice
Boca Raton, FL & Dania, FL
September 1994- January 1998
· Providing therapeutic services to individuals, couples, and families
· Specializing in families with children and adolescents
· Supervised by Marilisa Lawless, M. S., L.M.F.T. and Gilbert Berken, M. D.
-Gottman Level One
-PACT Level One (Psychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy)
-Certified Grief Counselor GC-C
Nova Southeastern University :
Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences (2005-2015)
Center for Psychological Services (2008-2015)
• Assessment in MFT
• Internal Clinical Supervision
• Human Sexuality and Gender
• Family Therapy/Systems Theory
• Language Systems
• Internal Clinical Supervision
INVITED AND JURIED PRESENTATIONS
• Elements of Inter-Play: Creativity, Neuroscience, Sexuality and Love . A session presented at the Mindcamp, Canada's Creativity Conference, Ontario, Canada (August 2014)
• Culture, Diversity, and Bowen Family Systems Theory. Two part presentation with Christopher Burnett, Psy.D. & Terri Neipert, M.S. at the 23rd Annual International Family Therapy Association Conference, Panama City, Panama (March 2014)
• Rethinking Creativity Across the Lifespan: A Psychosocial Constructivist Approach. Presentation at the 8th Biennial Conference of the Society for the Study of Human Development, Fort Lauderdale, FL (November, 2013)
• Training Systems Therapists to Match Theory to Client Variables: A Framework for Integration and Alliance . Workshop presented at the 8th European Family Therapy Association Congress,
Istanbul, Turkey (October, 2013)
• Looking through a Natural Systems Lens: Culture, Diversity and Differentiation of Self of the Therapist . Workshop presented with Terri Neipert, M.S. at the 8th European Family Therapy
Association Congress, Istanbul, Turkey (October, 2013)
• Looking through a Natural Systems Lens: Culture, Diversity and Differentiation of Self of the Therapist. Workshop presented with Christopher Burnett, Psy.D. & Terri Neipert, M.S. at Nova
Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL (September 2013)
• Developing Therapeutic Alliances: Matching Theory to Client Variables . Workshop presented at the International Family Therapy Association Annual Conference, Orlando, FL (February, 2013)
• Matching Theory to Client Factors: A Framework for Integration and Alliance . Workshop presented at the Florida Association of Marriage and Family Therapy Annual Conference. Boca Raton, FL (January, 2013)
• Revealing the Simplicity in Complexity: Uncovering the Creative Process. Workshop presented at the 18 th Annual International Creativity Conference, ACRE, South Africa Creativity Foundation. Bela-Bela, South Africa (October, 2012)
• Developing Therapeutic Alliances: Matching Theory to Patient Variables . Lecture presented at the RANZCP (Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, Psychotherapy Section) conference, Monash University. Prato, Italy (September 2012)
• Heightening Creativity in the Space Between: A Relational Look at Creative Process. Session presented at the Northeast Regional Conference of the American Creativity Association. Lewiston, Maine (July 2011)
• Using Systems Theory to Solve Business Problems. Tshwane University of Technology, School of Business, Pretoria, South Africa (October 2010)
• Eureka Learning: The Dance of Creative Awakening . Workshop presented at the 16 th Annual International Creativity Conference, South Africa Creativity Foundation. Bela-Bela, South Africa (October 2010)
• Myers-Briggs Training Session. Workshop for high school and college students in preparation for teaching assignments. Addressed MBTI in the context of group dynamics. Breakthrough Fort Lauderdale. Ft. Lauderdale, FL (June 2009)
• Thicker Wallets, Bigger Hearts: Creative Breakthroughs in Tough Economic Times. Presented with Ralph S. Robbins, CFP at the Annual Conference of the American Creativity Association. Philadelphia, PA (March 2009)
• Domestic Violence and the Economy. Seminar presented for the South Palm Beach County Chapter of the National Organization for Women. Boca Raton, FL (October 2008)
• Creative Paths to Authentic Self . Workshop presented at the Annual Conference of the American Creativity Association. Singapore (February 2008)
• Relationships from A to Z: Satisfying your Sensibilities. Presented to Boca Sabra Hadassah. Boca Raton, FL (December 2005)
• Relational Dynamics of Domestic Violence. Multiple presentations for the Mediation Training Group, Family Mediation Training. Fort Lauderdale, FL (November 2004 – December 2005)
• Mood Disorders and the Professional . Presented at the South Palm Beach County Courthouse for the South County Bar Association Mental Health Law Committee. Delray Beach, FL (January 2004)
• Effective Youth Counseling. A full day workshop presented with Richard Siegel, M.S., LMHC at the Children's Services Council, West Palm Beach, FL (January 2003)
• Domestic Violence- An Issue of Power and Control: Psychological Perspectives of the Abusers and Victims. Presented at a full day mediators CEU workshop. Tabas Mediation Group, Inc., Boca Raton, FL (November 2002)
• Women Speak Out Now. Facilitator: Self-esteem, dependency and relationships. Conference sponsored by Florida Atlantic University Women’s Studies Program, South Palm Beach County NOW, and Veteran Feminists of America. Boca Raton, FL (April 2002).
• Identifying and Working with Borderline Personality Disorder. A full-day learning institute presented at the Annual Conference for the American Counseling Association, San Antonio, TX (March 2001)
• The Culture of Teens, A full-day workshop presented with Lawrence Siegel, M.A., A.A.S.E.C.T., Children’s Service Council, West Palm Beach, FL (September 2000)
• Sibling Relationships: Every Child Has Special Needs, A workshop presented at the Parent Education Center, Boca Raton, FL . (August 2000)
• Surviving Divorce: The Legal, Financial, and Emotional Aspects , A half-day workshop presented with Janen Moyer, CDP, and Michelle Cummings, Esq., Deerfield Beach, FL
• Sex, Intimacy, and Family. A panel presentation at the Planned Parenthood of South Palm Beach County Staff Retreat. Boca Raton, FL (May 2000)
• Coping with the Changing Roles of Women in the New Millennium . A panel presentation sponsored by Salomon Smith Barney, Boca Raton, FL (March 2000)
• Identifying and Working with Borderline Personality Disorder. A full-day workshop presented
at Children’s Services Council, West Palm Beach, FL (January 2000)
• The Emotional Impact of Unwanted Pregnancy . Workshop presented at the Florida NOW State Conference, Jacksonville, FL (January 2000)
• Working with Hostile Youth . Presented with Larry Siegel, M.A., A.A.S.E.C.T. at Children's Services Council, West Palm Beach, FL (January 2000)
• Understanding Sexuality in the Context of Culture , A full-day workshop presented with Larry Siegel, M.A., A.A.S.E.C.T. at Children’s Services Council, West Palm Beach, FL (December, 1999)
• Child and Adolescent Psychopathology: A Family Systems Perspective , Guest Lecture for undergraduate students, Barry University, Boynton Beach, FL (November, 1999)
• Recognizing the Gifts in Our Children, Presented to Addison Mizner Elementary, Boca Raton, FL (November 1999)
• Stress Management , Presented to the Women’s Executive Club of the Palm Beaches, Boca Raton, FL (November 1999)
• Alternatives in Divorce, Presented with Valerie Kanouse, family attorney, Women for Excellence,
Boca Raton, FL (August 1999)
• The Use of Reflection in Qualitative Research , Guest Lecture for doctoral students in Data
Analysis, School of Social and Systemic Studies, Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale,
FL (May 1999)
• Understanding Sexuality in a Cultural Context , Pre-Conference Learning Institute, American
Counseling Association World Conference, San Diego, CA (April 1999)
• Women and Depression , Lecture presented to South Palm Beach County National Organization
for Women, Women’s Center, Boca Raton, FL (March 1999)
• Finding the Beauty Within , Lecture presented to Boca Sabra Hadassah, Boca Raton, FL
• Women Supporting Women , Workshop presented with Gloria Richardson, Annual Florida
State Conference of the National Organization for Women, Boca Raton, FL (January 1999)
• Depression During the Life-Span , Lecture presented to Hadassah, Boynton Beach, FL
• Women and Depression , Lecture presented to F.E.M.A.L.E. (Formally Employed Mothers at the
Leading Edge) of Palm Beach County, FL (November 1998)
• Love Your Body Day , Moderator for a Panel Presentation and Discussion, presented through the
National Organization for Women, NOW Foundation Women’s Health Project; Boca Raton, FL
(October 1998; November 1999)
• Balancing Career and Family Life , Lecture present to the Junior League of Boca Raton
• Adding Sizzle to Your Relationship , Lecture presented to the Women’s International Zionist
Organization, Palm Beach County (October 1998)
• Reviving the Romance in Your Marriage: Sex and Reconnection , Lecture presented to the South Palm Beach County Parents of Multiples Club (September 1998)
• Talking About Sex: Breaking the Unwritten Rules of Adult-Teen Communication , Workshop presented with Richard Siegel, National Resource Center for Youth Services Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, PA (July 1997)
• Sexual Issues in Chemical Dependency , Workshop presented with Lawrence Siegel and Richard Siegel, Florida Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Annual Conference, Hollywood, FL (May 1997)
• Family Communication about Sexuality , Guest Lecture for Master's students in Mental Health Counseling at Nova Southeastern University, Center for Psychological Studies. (January 1997)
• Feminist Criticism of Bowen Family Systems Theory , Panel presentation at Nova Southeastern University, School of Social and Systemic Studies. (November 1996)
• Gender Equity in the Schools , Presented to the Broward County Commission on the Status of Women. (October 1996)
• Building the Lines of Communication: A Family Strengthening Program , With Richard Siegel. Two-day workshop for employees of a major South Florida corporation. (October 1996)
• Sexuality Patterns in the Family: Interpreting Genogram Information and Clinical Applications , Two-day workshop presented at Nova Southeastern University School of Psychology, Doctoral Internship Program. (September 1996)
• Invited speaker for Women's Equality Day Luncheon-Women of Courage Awards-South Palm Beach County National Organization for Women. (August 1996)
• Feminism in Our Daily Lives , Workshop presented at the State conference of the National Organization for Women, Boca Raton, FL. (November 1995)
Morris, J.C. (1999). Developing therapeutic alliance: Matching theory to client variables.
Kentucky Counseling Association Journal, 18, (1), 19-27.
Morris, J. C . (1999). Gender role construction: An evolutionary interaction of adolescents, families
and society. Kentucky Counseling Association Journal. 18, (1), 33-39.
Morris, J. C., & Siegel, R. (1997). Breaking the unwritten rules of adult/teen communication.
Protecting Sexually Active Youth, 5, (3), 8-9.
Morris, J.C. , (1996). I Am Beautiful: A Celebration of Women in Their Own Words,
Dana Carpenter & Woody Winfree (Eds.) Bridgeport, CT: Rose Communications.
Morris, J. C. (1996, September). Divorce without destroying the children, Florida Family Magazine.
RESEARCH AND GRANT WRITING
Multigenerational Transmission of Family Communication about Sexuality , Original qualitative
research investigating the impact of social context and family of origin on parent-child sexual
communication. July, 1998
The Views of School Administrators on Managing Culturally Diverse Schools , Conducted
semi-structured, qualitatively-based, interviews with school principals for data collection for
dissertation research by Nancy Lucas, Florida Atlantic University. April-May, 1997.
Raising the Self-Esteem of Pre-Adolescent Girls: The Effects of an Inservice Gender Equity
Workshop for Teachers , A proposal to the Palm Beach County School Board and Ruth Rales
Jewish Family Services. November 1994.
Social Studies for Preschool Children: The Cognitive Intervention of the Acquisition of
Sex-Role Stereotypes , ERIC Database ED 350 098. April 1992.
Center for Disease Control : Submitted collaborative proposal with Planned Parenthood, Parent's Information Resource Center, and Nova Southeastern University, Center for Psychological Studies for HIV prevention education in Broward County. Project was approved.
Children’s Aid Society : $45,000 grant for Planned Parenthood to serve as one of six replication sites in the three year, quantitatively-based, outcome study of the Carrera model of teen pregnancy prevention. FY 1997- FY 2000.
Broward County Children's Services Board : Wrote the outcome objectives for a $100,000
Planned Parenthood grant for HIV prevention education, FY 1996-1997.
City of Hollywood : Gynecological exams for teens at Planned Parenthood, $4000 for FY
Broward Community Foundation : Gynecological exams for teens at Planned Parenthood,
$4000, for FY 1996-1997
Wrote the evaluation sections of the following grant applications:
March of Dimes : $25,000 grant, evaluation included quantitative analysis and the qualitative design of a culturally-based birth control assessment instrument.
Education Foundation of America : $150,000 grant, feasibility study for the addition of clinical services.
Community Foundation of Palm Beach and Martin Counties : $5,000 grant, quantitative evaluation assessing a HIV prevention peer education program.
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
Psychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy (PACT) 40-hour certification course with Dr. Stan Tatkin. Level One Certified 2023
Certified Grief Counselor American Institute of Healthcare Professionals, 2022. 120-hour course provided by the American Academy of Grief Counseling.
Supervision in Marriage and Family Therapy American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, Advanced Clinical Institutes, Asheville, NC, February 2012
30 hour course required for the AAMFT Approved Supervisor designation.
Ericksonian Approaches to Psychotherapy Milton Erickson Foundation, Phoenix, AZ, December 2011
20 hours of training in utilization, mindfulness, the fundamentals of hypnosis and multiple clinical demonstrations. Focus on the use of hypnosis for chronic pain, mind-body connection, anxiety-based disorders, and relational problems.
Smart Marriages: Happy Families Conference Coalition for Marriage, Family, and Couples Education,
Orlando, FL, July 2009
30 hours training in multiple areas of marital therapy and education. Focused attention on intimacy, communication, sexuality and finances.
PAIRS: Practical Skills for Emotional Literacy PAIRS Foundation, Fort Lauderdale, FL March 2009
PAIRS essential relationship skills training. Professional training in the PAIRS approach to building relationship skills.
Narrative Counseling in Schools: Powerful and Brief
Center for Narrative Research and Practice, Fort Lauderdale, FL, October 2008
Full-day lecture and workshop by John Winslade, Ph.D. Presented Narrative theory and techniques to be used in a school setting.
Money 1 to 1: Coming to Terms with Money Matters AFCPE & FINRA, October 2008
Financial training for psychotherapists. Provided basic financial information to help inform clients of options and understand more complex issues.
Baker Act Training University of South Florida, Fort Lauderdale, FL, May 2006
Full-day training for licensed mental health counselors. Covered mental health law and policy.
Art Therapy and Anxiety: Healing through Imagery Cross Country Education, West Palm Beach, FL March 2006
Focus on assessment, diagnosis and treatment. Covered fundamentals of art therapy, components of general anxiety disorder and anxiety related disorders. Use of non-verbal expression and communication in the therapeutic process.
Explosive/Noncompliant Children and Adolescents: Implementing Collaborative Problem Solving
National Association for Continuing Education, Boca Raton, FL. April 2004
Full-day lecture offering alternatives to contingency management for behavioral issues. Workshop conducted by Ross Greene, PhD, author of “The Explosive Child.” Strategies help children and adolescents learn relational skills in the face of social learning deficits. Techniques are aimed at parents, teachers, therapists, and others charged with the care of children with behavioral problems.
Disruptive Behavior Disorders in Children and Adolescents Cross Country University Ft. Lauderdale, FL,
Full-day workshop providing diagnostic and treatment protocol and alternatives for children and adolescents
exhibiting symptoms of Conduct Disorder, ODD, and ADHD. Offered child, family, and systemic
Child Custody and Parenting Plans High Conflict Divorce, Kids First, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, March 2003
Ten-hour workshop offering specific technique to help & divorcing and highly conflicted parents to create child-
centered co-parenting plans. Emphasized developmental factors and clinical applications.
Client Directed and Outcome Informed Therapy: The Heroic Client Center for Family Services, October 2002
Workshop emphasizing outcome orientation with client directed, outcome based therapy. Methods for measuring
on client factors and perceptions.
Sexual Attitude Reassessment, American Association of Sex Educators Counselors, and Therapists Miami, FL , May 2002
Fourteen - hour experiential workshop exploring sexualvalues and attitudes. Desensitization and discovery of
vast array of sexual beliefs and behaviors. Applications to clinical practice were addressed.
Using Humor in Psychotherapy Children’s Services Council, West Palm Beach, FL, May 2000
Methods for the appropriate use of humor by the therapist in individual and family therapy. Empirical data
supporting the use of humor. Learned optimism as part of the therapeutic process.
Family Mediation Florida Atlantic University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, October 1999
Forty-hour training course for certification as a State Certified Family Mediator. Preparation to mediate
divorce and other domestic disputes.
Trauma Across the Life Cycle South Florida Society for Trauma-Based Disorders, Hollywood, FL,
Methods for identification and intervention of trauma based disorders. Tracing the effects of trauma through multiple generations.
Clinical Supervision Family Therapy Associates, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, April 1997-July 1997
Live supervised training in the systemic clinical supervision of graduate level trainees in marriage and
family therapy. Supervised by Barry Duncan, Psy.D., AAMFT.
Family Therapy Associates Ft. Lauderdale, FL, September 1994-July 1996
In association with the doctoral program at Nova Southeastern University working under live practicum supervision with individuals, couples, and families.
Domestic Violence Women in Distress, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, October 1996
Five-hour course completing the state of Florida requirements for professional licensure.
Bowen Family Systems Georgetown University, Washington DC, November 1995
Post-graduate training in natural systems theory.
Relational Hypnosis Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, August 1995
State certified training in relational and Ericksonian hypnosis.
Advanced Training in Treating Survivors of Sexual Abuse, Washington, DC, November 1993
Learned specific methods and techniques for helping adult survivors of sexual abuse.
Sage Institute for Women and Families - Boca Raton, FL, 1999 –2003, Executive Director/Founder
· Founded a non-profit institute to provide educational and therapeutic services to women and families, conduct research, and provide training for professionals in the field.
· Responsible for all aspects of non-profit management
American Creativity Association - Director of Conference Planning, 2008-2012, Founder and President of the South Florida Chapter, 2007-2012
Parent Education Center , Boca Raton, FL, 2000, Professional Advisory Board
National Council of Jewish Women , Boca/Delray Section, 2000, Chair of Domestic Violence committee
National Organization for Women , South Palm Beach County , 2000-2001, chair of reproductive rights committee;1999-2000, Vice President; 1998-1999, chair of action team
committee; 1997-1999, secretary; 1987-1992 board member and chairperson of the gay & lesbian, and reproductive rights committees
Planned Parenthood – 2005, Family Images Art Contest Judge; 1994, counseling and office work
Compass – 1994 -group counseling gay, lesbian, and bisexual adolescents
Listen to Children -1994-1995 - individual reflective listening with elementary age children in school through the Palm Beach County Mental Health Association
· Licensed Mental Health Counselor, Florida: MH-4591
· Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Florida; MT-1701
· Licensed Marriage and Family Therapy, Pennsylvania MF-0698<
· Qualified Supervisor; Mental Health Counseling & Marriage and Family Therapy, Florida
· AAMFT Approved Supervisor 76576